Participants can expect to learn fundamental skills to develop and adapt seed varieties for their organic farm conditions. OSA California research and education specialist Jared Zystro will discuss:
▪ the biology of seed production,
▪ seed harvesting and cleaning,
▪ choosing appropriate seed crops for your system and climate,
▪ maintaining the genetic integrity of varieties with appropriate population sizes and isolation distances,
▪ conducting variety trials, and
▪ basic on-farm breeding techniques, such as mass selection and progeny testing.
Prior experience in basic seed growing is recommended.
This workshop is being offered free of charge thanks to support from Columbia Foundation and Gaia Fund. Workshop hours are 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The event will take place at Mano Farm located at 999 Fairview Avenue, Ojai, California. Directions are available at http://g.co/maps/p2xb.
Pre-registration is required. Please email Cathleen McCluskey at Cathleen@seedalliance.org to confirm your place.